Are you searching for information on how to apply for UIF maternity benefits online? or looking for how you can apply for UIF maternity leave online?
If you are a mother on maternity leave or a woman expecting a baby, you may have to apply for UIF maternity money online.
The UIF maternity benefits will help ease off your financial burden as you raise your newborn baby while you are on leave.
So how do you apply for UIF maternity leave? In this post, we are going to show you a simple way to apply for UIF Maternity Benefits online.
You will also see in this article, who qualifies for Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF Benefit), and who qualifies for UIF maternity leave.
Table of Contents
What are UIF Maternity Benefits?
Unemployment Insurance Fund Maternity benefits, also known as UIF Maternity Benefits are one of the six (6) UIF Benefits by the South African Department of Labour targeted towards pregnant workers expecting babies or mothers on leave because they have given birth.
The maternity leave and benefits are only claimed by mothers on maternity leave or working pregnant women who will soon go on maternity leave to care for their children.
If you are a woman expecting UIF maternity benefits, your employer must have first registered you and paid your UIF monthly contribution for you.
Who Qualifies For UIF Maternity Benefits?
To qualify for UIF maternity leave benefits, you must;
- Not be working less than 24 hours a month for an employer
- Not be a learner
- Not be a public servant
- Not be a foreigner working on a contract
- Not be a worker who gets a monthly State (old age) pension
- Not be a worker who only earns a commission.
Also, before you can qualify for the maternity benefits, you must have been in employment for at least 13 weeks prior to your UIF Maternity leave benefit application.
Apply before the child is born or within 12 months of birth. Again, you must be taking less than your normal salary whilst on maternity leave.
Note that you will be paid your maternity benefit at a flat rate of 66% for the period, should you experience a miscarriage, your benefits will be paid for a maximum of 121 days.
Documents Needed to Apply For UIF Maternity Benefits
To be able to apply for and claim UIF maternity leave benefits online you need copies of the following documents;
- 13-digit bar-coded ID or passport
- Form UI-19 (completed by employer)
- Form UI-2.7 (completed by employer)
- Form UI-2.8 (for banking details)
- Form UI-2.3 (application form)
- Form UI-4 (follow-up form)
- Medical certificate from a doctor or birth certificate of the baby
You must upload digital copies of all these documents to the uFilling portal during your application for UIF maternity leave benefits or submit these documents at any Department of labour centre.
How Do Apply For UIF Maternity Benefits Online?
To apply for UIF maternity benefits online, follow these steps;
- Login to your uFilling portal account
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- Confirm your Banking Details
- Verify/complete your Personal Details
- Update your Personal Details if there are any changes
- Enter your Occupation and Qualification
- Confirm if you are receiving a salary from your employer whilst on Maternity leave or not
- Upload all the required documents
Important Links On UIF Maternity Benefits
- Who Qualifies For UIF Benefits
- How Can I Claim UIF Maternity Benefits
- What Documents Are Required For UIF Maternity Benefits
Now, let’s proceed to answer some of the frequently asked questions on how to apply for UIF maternity Benefits.
When am I supposed to submit my application for UIF maternity benefits?
According to the Department of Labour, you are supposed to submit your application for UIF maternity Benefits at least 8 weeks before your maternity leave begins
How long can I claim UIF maternity benefits?
You can claim UIF maternity benefits for a maximum period of 121 days or four (4) months of being on maternity leave.
How does the Department of Labour calculate UIF maternity benefits In South Africa?
The Department of Labour in South Africa calculates UIF maternity benefits by using the last 4 years you have worked to see the credit days you have. For every 6 months you worked you receive 1 month's benefits and a maximum of 4 months.
How much can I receive from UIF as maternity benefit?
The Unemployment Insurance Fund - UIF pays maternity between 38 - 58% of your salary. You can receive up to a total amount of R12478 for UIF maternity benefits.
How long does it take to receive my first UIF maternity benefits?
From the day you submit a completed and approved application, it takes between 3-6 weeks to recieve your first UIF maternity benefits.
In this post, we explored how to apply for UIF Maternity Benefits online. We hope that the information has been helpful.